From Sarah, With Joy

*Poet * Author * Wanderluster*

Friday, December 11, 2009

Chistmas Gift Ideas for Writers

For the writer in your life, here is a quick list of some Christmas gift ideas:

-Notebooks: an obvious one, but for a small nice gift or stocking stuffer, notebooks are something writers can always use.

-Books: Be careful with this one, because writers often have more books on their to-read list then they can get to. But books are always wonderful anyway, and it might end up being just the one they wanted.

-Audiobooks: These are more expensive then regular books, and writers may actually need them more. They can upload them onto their iPods and have them in their car for long drives. For me, listening to writing out loud helps me with my own voice, and your writer may find it helpful too.

-Classical music: I used to think I couldn't write and listen to music, but lately I've been listening to classical while I write and it actually seems to make me write faster. At least it feels that way. And its nice to not be sitting in silence for hours on end. So for someone who may be interested in that kind of stuff, it may help.

-Printers: I always like having a hard copy of my piece when I'm editing, and if the writer in your life does too, then a good printer may be a good gift idea. That way they can have their pieces with them to work on wherever they go. Binders and folders to carry the pieces in would be a good idea as well.

-Trinkets: This stuff can be used to market your writers' book. Get them custom bookmarks, t-shirts, bumper stickers, mugs, business cards, etc. They can distribute them to get the word out about their book.

-Subscription to a literary journal: Its always helpful for writers to see what kind of stuff is being published. It gives inspiration and helps see the competition. If there is a particular magazine your writer wants to be published in, get that one. If you don't know where to start, I suggest the New Yorker, Harpers, and Atlantic Monthly.

Anyway, those are my suggestions. What other Christmas gift ideas do you writers have?

Sarah Allen

2 comments:

  1. I love notebooks paired with a pretty pen. Magazines subscriptions are often appreciated, too, and sometimes you can get the ones that allow the recipient to choose the publication(s). If you're willing to shell out a bit more money, a Kindle or BN's new Nook (which doesn't ship until January) would also make great gifts for the avid readers on your list.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the feedback! Those are all awesome ideas.

    ReplyDelete

I absolutely love hearing from you! Thank you so, so much for your thoughts and comments, they really do make my day. Consider yourself awesome. Also, I do my best to respond to every comment within 24 hours, so I invite you to come back and continue the conversation :)

To have weekly posts delivered to your inbox, just sign up here!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...