From Sarah, With Joy

*Poet * Author * Wanderluster*

Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Then I know its Christmas

We may be in a new place this year, but there are still certain signs.

Increase in the number of quotes from The Grinch per day, although we do quote it year round. Of course when I say we I mean you.

Back ache, greasy table, dough under my fingernails from the Russian Teacake making assembly.

My brothers complaining about listening to The Osmonds.

Albert Finney in Scrooge. He is kind of a genius. (The Grinch and Ebenezer Scrooge would be my favorite Christmas characters. *facepalm*)

All of us trying to guess who each other has for 12 days of Christmas. Trying and usually failing to keep your person a secret.

Watching all the old 50's Christmas specials with Mickey Rooney and remembering how unintentionally creepy they are. When you sit on my lap today, a kiss a toy is the price you pay.

Still to come: chili bread bowls for Christmas Eve dinner, opening new Christmas pajamas, and my favorite part, all of us waking up ridiculously early and waiting in someones bedroom until we can go wake up my parents at 8:00. Maybe that all sounds like I'm 5, but I don't care.

It's Christmas.

6 comments:

  1. It is that time of year! I wake up early on Christmas morning too, with my brother and wait for the festivities to begin!
    the-creationofbeauty.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is awesome. So many of these things are universal (okay, my universe anyway). The types of dough under my fingernails might be gingerbread, or even tamale mix, but yes Albert Finney is amazing in Scrooge, and I agree, one has to wonder about Kris Kringle sometimes. Thankfully for me, the uber early wake up call ended a few years ago, but my husband does still wake me up for Christmas breakfast. Some things never change. Thanks for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My daily listen to O Holy Night is a traditional I've had for years - I must drive people crazy, but I don't care. And Miracle on 34th Street gets a few views too :-)

    Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay! A Sarah post-- among my favorite. Our family loves to quote from movies, and yes, this time of year The Grinch (the Jim Carrey version) is among our favorite to quote. We amuse, well, only us really, but that's OK. White Christmas is our family's favorite. We watch it at least twice per season. Homemade cinnamon rolls and prime rib on Christmas day. Wii bowling and a hike, or sled riding, after a leisurely morning opening gifts. These are a few of my favorite things... (Hum with me!) Merry Christmas, Sarah!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I LOVE how everyone gets to be a kid again at Christmas. How it's time to get excited and to have traditions and fun times. More than Christmas itself I love the leading up to Christmas--how it lasts almost two months and people are excited to give gifts to the people they love--and even to strangers.
    tademings.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. You and I seem to occupy some of the same portions of the Living Wavelength (whatever that means).

    I absolutely LOVE 'Scrooge' with Albert Finney - it blows every other filmed version of Dickens' 'A Christmas Carol' completely off the map.

    I own every episode of Frasier and my Brother and I quote from the show constantly.

    I still love and own on DVD, and watch every single Christmas season, all the old classic animated Christmas specials, including 'Santa Claus Is Coming To Town' with Mickey Rooney.

    In fact, in my version of The-End-Of-The-World for the 'Apocalypse' Blogfest, I borrowed semi-heavily from one of the old animated Christmas classics. I wonder if you'd be able to recognize the references.

    ~ D-FensDogg
    'Loyal American Underground'

    ReplyDelete

I absolutely love hearing from you! Thank you so, so much for your thoughts and comments, they really do make my day. Consider yourself awesome. Also, I do my best to respond to every comment within 24 hours, so I invite you to come back and continue the conversation :)

To have weekly posts delivered to your inbox, just sign up here!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...