From Sarah, With Joy

*Poet * Author * Wanderluster*

Friday, December 6, 2013

Do soul-bursting romance moments only happen on television?

A couple nights ago when my roommate and I got back from Frozen, we were both sort of riding the emotional high the movie had given us. We sat for a while listening to the songs from the movie and analyzing it together and then I was trying to decide on something to blog about. I sat there for a few minutes, unable to think of much besides the movie. Then my roommate said, "Just go with the emotion." So I did, and wrote out my Frozen squee. I'm sort of doing that again.

So, I don't handle pining and romantic moments in movies and shows very...calmly. The really, really intense ones that have been building up for seven seasons (i.e. Niles and Daphne) leave me sort of in shock for like a whole twenty-four hours and then I start feeling like I need to go jump on a trampoline or take an angry shower or write letters to the President or run laps around my apartment complex belting songs from Wicked.

Um, I've been catching up on New Girl. I know I'm a bit behind the times, but I just watched the episode where Nick and Jess and all the friends are playing the crazy bizarre game around the apartment. Nick and Jess end up locked in a room until they kiss. Nobody will let them out. They start, but Nick refuses to do it. He says, "Not like this!" and climbs out the window. You can tell Jess is a little hurt that Nick climbed out a window rather than kiss her. Eventually everyone leaves or goes to bed, but Nick comes back to help Jess deal with the scary noise. Then before she goes back to bed he grabs her arm and pulls her to him and gives her one of the best kisses I've ever seen on television. He says, "I meant something like that." Then he walks to his room and shuts the door.

Aas;ldkjg;akslhgdklhsjhkfjkls.

Do things like that actually happen in real life? I'm asking sincerely, because my life right now is about as romantic as Teletubbies. Tell me this. What is the most romantic thing that's ever happened to you?

Sarah Allen

10 comments:

  1. I've never done anything like! I'd be afraid of getting smacked for my efforts.
    My wife bought me a guitar for Christmas one year. I thought that was romantic. Maybe that's just me...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, absolutely YES romantic amazing moments happen in real life.

    But, you have to keep in mind that things are always very different in the movies.

    The first time I kissed Jo, she held her lips tight and didn't kiss me back and it was the most disappointing thing in my entire life. The next day I kissed her again and she kissed me back and it was the best thing ever.

    One time Jo and I went roller blading on the river trail up the road from our place and as we were zooming down the trail we looked at each other and kissed like only someone in the movies could do after about 15 takes and kept zooming on our rollerblades.

    But probably the absolute most romantic thing that has ever happened to me was me having an ordinary lonely day in my apartment when my roommate brought in the mail and for me was a letter from Jo that contained only one small, homemade piece of paper with a poem written in the shape of her handprint. It was written specifically for me and still makes me melt every time I think about it.

    I could name a million romantic wonderful things from only my 2 years and 5 months of being with Jo. Maybe I'm lucky…or maybe some people really don't hold out long enough to find one of the great ones, but I can definitely say that soul-bursting romance moments happen all the time in my real life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, and the most romantic thing that ever happened to me was when I realized that a man I'd been dating for about a month and was completely in love with had secretly purchased me an engagement ring. (12 years later we're still married...) : }

    ReplyDelete
  4. i think they do happen...i dont think you can go looking for it though...these are the things that just happen when we allow love to build...as you said for some it builds over many a season...smiles.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've got a whole courtship full of romance that could topple pretty much any movie, sitcom, or TV show. I waited for my husband for two years, and it's the hardest thing I've ever done because we were so in love before he left. We had two years of letter writing--physical letters with stamps and everything. Some of the sweetest words ever written exist in that collection of missives. We were married 2.5 months after he got home, and I haven't regretted a moment of it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My wife accepted my marriage proposal on Christmas Day 1987.

    ReplyDelete
  7. When I & my love looked like Nick and Jess, there were sparks all over the place.

    Now we just think the sparks--being seniors now, no one will hurt anything.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I seem to remember some romantic moments way back some time years ago. I've been married now for 20 years so the grand "capital R" Romantic stuff is nonexistent. My husband (who hates coffee, even the smell) makes me coffee and brings it to me every morning. I think that's "small r" romance. I'll take it!

    ReplyDelete

I absolutely love hearing from you! Thank you so, so much for your thoughts and comments, they really do make my day. Consider yourself awesome. Also, I do my best to respond to every comment within 24 hours, so I invite you to come back and continue the conversation :)

To have weekly posts delivered to your inbox, just sign up here!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...