From Sarah, With Joy

*Poet * Author * Wanderluster*

Thursday, May 15, 2014

Writing Short Stories and Making Pictures

To add some tools to our writers tool belt, I wanted to highlight two great blog posts from the last week.

Modern internet browsers are accustomed to two things: short text, and images. Friends will often send me links to articles and fan-fiction and such, and I often don't have the patience for long text on a computer screen. I'm used to quick, often bullet-pointed blog posts. I spend quite a bit of time on Tumblr, which is very image based. And I'm a true internet child, because when I get to long textual posts, I usually just scroll past.

I'm not trying to pass a value judgement on this browsing culture. I think there are good things about it and bad things about it, but its important to be aware of our cultural psychology and how we can best participate in that conversation and introduce people to ourselves and our books.

And we do that with short writing and images.

So, first, here is a post from the consistently wise Anne R. Allen giving 12 reasons to write short stories. If you think short fiction isn't worth your time, Anne will change your mind. Each reason she gives is reason enough to work on short stories. After writing books, I submit that short stories are the best way writers can build their careers, and Anne will tell you why.

As far as images, here is a great list of image resources from Author Marketing Experts. I would also add PicMonkey or iPiccy. I know we writers don't work in images, we work in words, but I am a firm believer in expanding our venues and skills as much as possible. These resources will help you do that with images, even for those of us with no artistic skill to speak of.

Hope these resources help. Write on!

Sarah Allen

9 comments:

  1. short stories are a great way of developing writing. I often do a short version of a novel idea just to see if there's anything there.

    mood
    Moody Writing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh, that's a great idea! Short story as trial run.

      Delete
  2. I still need to check out pic monkey.

    Hugs and chocolate!
    Shelly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I highly recommend it! It's fun and easy to use.

      Delete
  3. And yet, as a reader, I tend to avoid short stories although I also avoid very long blogs or articles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, interesting. Why do you think that is, and are there certain types of short stories you've enjoyed?

      Delete
    2. Short stories which come to mind are anthologies based on a series I enjoy such as those about Valdemar (Mercedes Lackey) or about PERN by Anne McCaffrey - but generally, now I think about it, I am not quite sure why I avoid them. I will have to give it some thought

      Delete
  4. I've had several short stories published, but am finding a lot of publications now prefer stories under 1000 words, or even 500. You are right about attention span for short bits. You're more likely to get published now with the short-shorts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, yes, flash fiction :) I have fun with things like that, and its something you can play with in a notebook while you're waiting at a dentists office.

      Delete

I absolutely love hearing from you! Thank you so, so much for your thoughts and comments, they really do make my day. Consider yourself awesome. Also, I do my best to respond to every comment within 24 hours, so I invite you to come back and continue the conversation :)

To have weekly posts delivered to your inbox, just sign up here!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...