From Sarah, With Joy

*Poet * Author * Wanderluster*

Saturday, April 12, 2014

K is for Kindred Spirits

When I find someone who likes this man as much as I do:

When I find someone who knows every word to every Billy Joel song

When I find someone who can quote every line of The Emperor's New Groove or The Grinch with Jim Carrey

When I find someone who has read the collected works of C. S. Lewis

When I find someone who thinks Colin Firth is hotter than Orlando Bloom

When I find someone with whom I can spend hours analyzing Disney and Pixar movies.

When I find someone who hates dark chocolate and loves bread pudding

When I find someone who owns picture books by Don and Audrey Wood

When I find someone who would pick Alaska over Hawaii

When I find someone who carries Wallace Stegner in one hand and Stephen King in the other (and maybe some Gary Schmidt or Louis Sacchar in their bag for good measure)

When I find someone who watches more Animal Planet than MTV

When I find someone who knows what comes after the words, "And now, the weather..."

When I find someone who misses Rugrats and The Wild Thornberries and Courage the Cowardly Dog and maybe still watches Phineas and Ferb (only sometimes okay?)

When I find someone who appreciates the genius of Stephen Sondheim and knows the words to The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee

When I find someone who knows that Meryl Streep could play Batman and not be wrong for the part

When anybody says the words Niles Crane

I know I've found a kindred spirit.

What are sure kindred signs for you?

Sarah Allen

4 comments:

  1. When someone understands my need to write and my passion for words and writing, I know that I have found a kindred spirit. When someone can see the beauty around us - in the clouds, the sky, a rainbow - when someone loves the pitter-patter of the rain falling on the roof, then I have found a kindred spirit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very funny. I was recently having a conversation with a friend of mine about soulmates/kindred spirits...I'm not sure if they are any precises matches in taste, but I guess if you get enough commonalities, then you have a winner. I only need five things.1. Loves words 2. Loves to talk about their feelings 3. loves cricket and rugby league 4. loves heavy metal and 5. Doesn't think jokes are funny

    ReplyDelete
  3. For me, this is an easy challenge:
    A writer and lover of words and their power - and who likes to sail, cook, read Craig Johnson, thinks Jeremy Irons is one of the world's best actors, likes train travel, American history,birds, sports but especially lacrosse! And also a good many of yours, which are very clever!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You had me right up till you expressed a hatred of dark chocolate. ;-) I much prefer it to milk or that pretend stuff, white. I do quite like bread and butter pudding.

    ReplyDelete

I absolutely love hearing from you! Thank you so, so much for your thoughts and comments, they really do make my day. Consider yourself awesome. Also, I do my best to respond to every comment within 24 hours, so I invite you to come back and continue the conversation :)

To have weekly posts delivered to your inbox, just sign up here!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...