From Sarah, With Joy

*Poet * Author * Wanderluster*

Thursday, October 9, 2014

The Metal Creatures That Live In The Desert

I live in the desert, and this last weekend, I got to visit more of it. I often take the opportunity to visit my grandparents and other extended family in St. George, Utah, during LDS General Conference weekend. It's a great opportunity to just basically do something different.

On this trip, my grandma and I went exploring up Zion's canyon and stopped at some of the delightful shops along the way. We got some delicious bumbleberry icecream, took pictures of the beautiful red rock, and of course, discovered the delightful metal creatures that live in the desert.





We've got our metal owl, metal lion, metal lobster, metal kitty cat, and that delightful robotic frog with a metal fly caught in its trap. Some good fun.

I really admire those with these types of artisan skills. I think it requires a tremendous amount of patience...something I don't have. But whatever it is that you create--whether it's a metal lobster, a spinach salad, or a smile on someone else's face--remember that you have taken disorder and made something beautiful, which means the world is a more beautiful place because you're in it.

And because there are metal lions and owls and lobsters.

Write on!

Sarah Allen

For more updates, writing tips, and funnies, sign up for the monthly newsletter and get a free copy of 50 Marketing and Networking Tips for Writers!

14 comments:

  1. I LOVE metal sculptures, especially when they are yard ornaments. I said just the other day how I wish I could weld so that I could make them. I have a wire owl on a tree stump but am trying to figure out how to make my old charcoal grill into something AWESOME.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wouldn't that be such a fun skill to have? I think welding sculptures would be (forgive the pun) such a blast :) Best of luck with your old grill, I'd love to see how it turns out!

      Delete
  2. Those are some cool creatures. Amazing what some people can create.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right? Serious skill envy going on over here :)

      Delete
  3. I agree with you about the artisans who create such great stuff. Zion takes my breath away.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aren't they amazing? And isn't Zion's amazing? I feel lucky to live near such a gorgeous place.

      Delete
  4. Those are SO cool! I could see those in my house and I don't normally say that about art. If you get a chance, check out this guy's furniture. He makes tables shaped like tomatoes and such:

    http://www.craignutt.com/index.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whoa, that guys stuff is awesome! Very cool :) So creative :)

      Delete
  5. What delightful works of whimsey! I was smiling, just looking at them. Who is the artist/ Thanks for these photos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They made me smile too, which is why I had to share :) Unfortunately I didn't keep track of the artist :/ But next chance I get I'll be sure to go back and check!

      Delete
  6. i also love these wildly entertaining metal sculptures! They would work well inside, as well as outdoors. Very clever!

    Julie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aren't they great? Eventually I'd love to have some.

      Delete

I absolutely love hearing from you! Thank you so, so much for your thoughts and comments, they really do make my day. Consider yourself awesome. Also, I do my best to respond to every comment within 24 hours, so I invite you to come back and continue the conversation :)

To have weekly posts delivered to your inbox, just sign up here!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...