From Sarah, With Joy

*Poet * Author * Wanderluster*

Thursday, February 5, 2015

How Old Is Your Soul?

I had a birthday fairly recently, and my sister asked me if I felt my age. And actually, the answer is definitely a no. In fact, my actual age is in many ways the age I least feel. (Does that sentence make sense? You get it, right?)

What I mean is that I feel both quite a bit younger and quite a bit older than I actually am.

On the one hand, I am probably way too fond of barbershop quartets and bread pudding for anyone born after like, World War II. There are probably less than one handful of "teenager" movies that I like, and just the thought of the upcoming 50 Shades of Grey movie makes me want to gag. And it doesn't help that the majority of men I find attractive are older than my father. (Hello Colin Firth.)
(Is this post another excuse for me to look up pictures of Colin Firth? Do I need another excuse to look up pictures of Colin Firth?)

But then, I've also spent a significant amount of time watching Dexter's Lab, and Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends, and I mean within the last year. It's good stuff. My preferred food (other than bread pudding) is Waffle Crisp. The book I am currently reading is a YA novel called Everlost by Neal Shusterman (super great by the way. Would recommend). And if I was forced to pick a favorite artist, it would probably be Don Wood. (You guys have all read Piggies, right? I mean, serious work of art.)


Not that any of this really super matters, and not that there is a right or wrong age to feel. I just find it interesting. We're all different, inside and out. I think the only thing this age dichotomy really means is that I get to buy Waffle Crisp whenever I want, because I am a real life grown up girl with a real life grown up job. (Kind of). And it means I get to buy the YA, MG and picture books I love, and maybe one day make money writing them. It means I can watch Pixar movies with a literary, analytical lens, maybe one day with a scruffy, middle-aged British gent at my side.

How old is your soul?

Sarah Allen

For more frequent updates, writing tips, and funnies, follow on FacebookTwitterGoogle+
YouTubePinterestTumblrGoodReads, and/or Instagram. Or if you enjoyed this post, sign up for the monthly newsletter and get a free copy of 50 Marketing and Networking Tips for Writers!

7 comments:

  1. My British Gent just turned 80 yesterday and I know he doesn't feel as old. I certainly don't. However,some of the things you mentioned as enjoying mean nothing to me. Colin Firth now!!!! Different matter altogether.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I have an old soul. My mom always says so.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is such an interesting question. I've always felt both younger and older than my age, too. I've always been ahead in some things and behind in others in terms of age interests. I suspect that's true of everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The 50 Shades movie makes me want to gag as well. Colin Firth, on the other hand. You never need an excuse to share a pic of him. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Probably somewhere in my 30's. Sometimes it slips back into my teens.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Like Alex, my soul is on a sliding scale. I am glad it does not go to my teens.

    ReplyDelete

I absolutely love hearing from you! Thank you so, so much for your thoughts and comments, they really do make my day. Consider yourself awesome. Also, I do my best to respond to every comment within 24 hours, so I invite you to come back and continue the conversation :)

To have weekly posts delivered to your inbox, just sign up here!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...